Upon coming in right in the middle of summer, plants must face high temperatures, intense sunshine, lack of water and low humidity.
High temperatures may affect freshly set or developing fruit (falling fruit). Low humidity and high temperatures can disturb normal metabolism in various ways (closure of stomata, for example), as well as burns and other damage to leaves and fruits (even if already grown), especially if they coincide with windy days.
On the other hand, the lack of humidity in the soil favors an increase in the concentration of salts in the root area, contributing to an increase in osmotic stress and the appearance of physiopathies.
As a result, yields and quality are affected, reducing production and the value of the crop.
What can we do in this situation?
In order to prevent damage, in addition to irrigation where possible, certain management techniques such as shading are used.
On the other hand, the ability of certain substances to strengthen a plant against stress has been discovered, which includes betaine glycine. It is a compatible solute that helps maintain cell turgor by contributing to cell membrane stability (osmoprotective effect).
PLYMAG has developed BETAPRO, which combines the qualities of seaweed extract from Ascophyllum nodosum with properties of betaine glycine to strengthen resistance to abiotic stress while stimulating growth and production.
BETAPRO, greater resistance to drought and high temperatures.
BETAPRO acts through the action of three substances.
- GLYCINE BETAINE: osmoprotective substance whose application can protect plants from dehydration, extreme temperatures, excessive light radiation and salinity.
- MANITOL: relieves osmotic stress in a natural way.
- ALGINIC ACID: promotes hydration through the formation of alginates.
Moreoever, the extract of Ascophyllum nodosum favors the conservation of chlorophyll and other stimulating effects (CITOKINETIC ACTION).
How can crops benefit from the use of BETAPRO?
We will provide the example of three very different crops:
- Tomato: by protecting from water stress, it promotes fruit setting, reducing the loss of fruit and increasing its quality.
- Almond and olive trees: reduces the drop of freshly set and growing fruit due to lack of water and high temperatures.
- Dose: foliar-wise it is used at 200 cc/hL and via the root the dose varies from 3 to 5 L/ha and application.